Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Is there a sweet potato vine that will survive year round?

I want to plant it outside be it must be able to take the freezing cold in the winter and the heat in the summer!

Is there a sweet potato vine that will survive year round?
I don't think so. I know that a potato will die when the days get shorter.
Reply:No. Sweet Potato Vines are annuals and they are not meant to handle freezing temperatures. I take mine up and keep it in the window in the garage or indoors over the winter. It dislikes the dry winter indoor air, so it sulks a little, but it also grows nicely when I put it back outside in the spring.

Below is a list of winter vines from Oregon, so it will work in most wintery areas. You can also keep some sweet potato vines in a coldframe, as long as it does not get too cold. They will lose their leaves if it gets too chilly, but to not require a huge amount of protection in zone 7 to get them through the winter - the cold frame will do as long as I water it over the winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment