Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I know they taste better, but are vine ripened fruits and veggies better for you ...?

than those that ripen "on the shelf"?

I know they taste better, but are vine ripened fruits and veggies better for you ...?
As far as fruits and veggies are concerned, the fresher the better. Vine ripened are better for you nutritionally in several ways. First, veggies begin to loose some of their nutritional content (ie vitamins and minerals) as soon as they are taken from the vine. Therefore, if they've been sitting on a shelf for a week or more, they just don't have the same nutritional content.



The second, and maybe most important way that they are better fresh is just as you mentioned: they taste better! I know, personally, that I am much more likely to get all my daily recommended servings of fruits/veggies if they taste yummy. I hate buying the tomatoes, etc. from the store that look red and ripe but taste so bland that I don't even want to eat them!
Reply:I'd say they'd probably be better fresh picked, that way all the vitamin stay inside.. the ones in can's and things like that, their all chopped up and probably lose a lot of their natural juice's.. so i'd say fresh picked is better..





guess what? still did the "alot" thing.. dang thats gonna be a hard habit to break..

flowers anniversary

No comments:

Post a Comment