Sunday, February 5, 2012

Why does my Grape Vine appear to be dying?

3rd year plant. 1st year producing, Thompson Seedless Flame Grapes. This plant produced a lot of Grapes although small to medium size ones. There was about a 2 1/2 to 3 gallon container of grapes. I cut them all off as they started getting soft, even the green ones not yet ripened. The leaves are turning brown. Plant is only about 4 ft by 4 ft. I have 7 or 8 others doing well, some larger than others. Will this plant get better? Fruit from it was awsome.



Purpose of the grapes is to provide deco on block fence and give kids grapes to eat while playing and swimming, I did not cut them back last year, I love the coverage on the wall. Do I have to prune? I will prune when they meet each other in the middle and when they top the fence. Half of the plants are Thompson seedless Green, other half are the Flame. Will the green grapes become sweet? Currently it is June 22nd perhaps they need more time?



Location is Phoenix, Arizona.

Why does my Grape Vine appear to be dying?
Are you making sure the plant stays well watered? If you're having a lot of heat, it's especially important to keep those roots damp and cool. Mulching them is a great way to help with this.

To get the best production, you'll need to prune your grapes after a couple years of having them. Do a search on google for how to prune them. (I'm not very good at that!)

Your Thompson seedless grapes are suppose to be sweet. Maybe the plant just needs to mature, or maybe you picked the grapes before they were ready?
Reply:Noble rot. Make some Ice wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment