Saturday, January 14, 2012

Are cluster tomatoes on-the-vine less sweet than roma or beefsteak?

I'm used to very sweet roma or beefsteak tomatoes, but I usually purchase just one to three and eat them within days. These on-the-vine tomatoes have excellent color and texture after a few weeks in the fridge, but they taste awful! I loathe anything even a little bit bitter, so I'm more sensitive than most.



Any idea whether it was the original tomato that's less tasty or the fridge-time that's to blame? Again, let me emphasize that their texture and color are flawless.



If I cook them I assume they'll lose quite a bit of flavor, including the bittnerness. I threw away the first one that wasn't worth eating raw, but I think I'll include the other five in my next stir-fry to retain some of the nutrients without suffering through the bitter taste. Yuck!

Are cluster tomatoes on-the-vine less sweet than roma or beefsteak?
First of all - never, ever refrigerate tomatoes. It ruins their taste tremendously! I grow a lot of varieties of tomatoes every year (this year it's 9) and there is a wide variance on sweetness, to be sure. It sounds like you may have more sensitive tastebuds than some, so if leaving the vined tomatoes on the counter doesn't help, I would stick to your roma's and your beefsteaks. You also might consider growing your own - they do great in pots, if you don't have any garden space!


No comments:

Post a Comment