Friday, February 3, 2012

My red passionflower vine 's leaves have been eaten by some insect. I thought my plant has cyanide and is poi

How much leaves eaten before you get poisoned?

My red passionflower vine 's leaves have been eaten by some insect. I thought my plant has cyanide and is poi
Passion flowers attract one particular caterpillar, and they eat on it, and it's harmless to them. I allow mine to be eaten, because the butterfly's the pillars grow into are lovely, besides they should be about done about this time of year, it won't harm it, it just looks really bad.



if you opt for something to stop it, try a nice soapy water. They hate the taste of it and it won't hurt the plant. Dawn will do just fine.
Reply:It is probably a caterpillar, a snail, or a host of both. To them the foliage is not poisonous. In fact, I cannot find any sites that state that the leaf is highly toxic.



One site suggested that the caterpillars eat the leaves to make the birds leave them alone. lol



And of course, the flower and the fruit are very good for you.



If it is a serious problem, read this:

http://www.tucsongardener.com/Year06/Pas...



Happy Gardening!


No comments:

Post a Comment