Friday, January 20, 2012

How do I get rid of a monster vine in my backyard?

The previous owners of my house let this vine gorw completely out of hand. It has grown to a length of 10-15 feet and is climbing (and choking) a beautiful quince tree. I have tried cutting branches last year, but it grew back. Now I am trying to cut all the big stumps and the long roots %26amp; branches I can find, but the root system is huge and I cannot seem to be able to dig it out.



Is there anything I can spray on it that wouldn't hurt the tree? Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?



Thanks in advance

How do I get rid of a monster vine in my backyard?
You'll have to stay with it.

Spray any new growth with Roundup (carefully). Wait a couple of days for the plants to absorb it, then cut off the new growth. Brush straight Round up on the freshly cut ends. You'll have to keep doing this for some time since it sounds like it is well-established, but if you stay with it, eventually you'll win.
Reply:Agree with previous person- until the root is killed, you'll keep after it-- also there is a woody plant killer on the market-- I haven't tried it but I think it's made by the folks that make Round-up.

The quince will be OK with Round-up-- just don't spray any on it's branches or leaves.

good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment