Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How can I keep my tomato's from splitting by the vine....?

on the top of the tomato? All of my tomatoes are splitting at the top of the tomato. I have two beefsteak tomato plants that, when I pick the red or partialy red ones, they are splitting down from the top by the vine, I don't water them every day but I keep the soil moist only and not wet, wet, so am I doing something wrong or is there something that I can do. I don't use pestisides either. ALL NATURAL, with miracle grow as a starter soil when I planted them.

WHAT IS GOING ON??? Please all answers and no jokes.

How can I keep my tomato's from splitting by the vine....?
Tomatos split, believe it or not, from too much watering too fast. The meat of the tomato grows at a faster rate than the skin. Try watering less frequently and add a mulch to help absorb the extra water that the plants can nourish from between waterings. Hope this helps.
Reply:No joke there is a fungus that grows on tomatoes that will cause this, and sometimes the tomatoes or to heavy for the vine, have you tied your vines up with a stake? If not try that and if you have try getting a book on how to grow tomatoes and see if it shows what is going on with yours.... the ground may be to soft and you may be over feeding them..


No comments:

Post a Comment