Monday, January 23, 2012

Looking for any information out there on passion flower vine (plant is native to Texas)?

Should I cut back vine ever for any reason?

How do I get seeds? From the fruit?

Is the fruit safe to eat?

Any other info?

Looking for any information out there on passion flower vine (plant is native to Texas)?
I have this vine in my backyard here in Southern CA. I got mine from the fruit and grew up the seeds. It may takes a few months as it did in my case.



I did two things with the fruit simultaneously. I let one dry and and planted the dry and the fresh one together and let nature do its thing. I then separated the seedlings and set them up against an arbor. In one season I had full coverage and LOTS of butterflies.



Care of the passion vine is not complicated, but sometimes it can be challenging. Prune the dead stalks to the ground after the frost has killed them. Remove unwanted sprouts that may pop up at unsuspected places. If fertilizer is applied, use a light hand. Excess fertilizer will encourage lush green leaves at the expense of flowers.





The Passiflora family is easy to culture:



Passion fruit vines like full sun except during those very hot summer days, if possible provide some partial shade. The vine is a fast grower and can get out of hand, so if possible plant it next to a chain link fence or on a trellis.



Passion fruit vines grow in many soil types but make sure that the plant gets excellent drainage. If you want to keep the vines flowering almost continuously, regular water is necessary. The vines are shallow-rooted, and will benefit from a thick layer of organic mulch.



Passiflora vines are vigorous growers and require regular fertilizing. Stay away from just using a 20-20-20 liquid food. This may promote good growth but possibly too much green and not enough flower. Use a fertilizer with a ratio more along the lines of a 2-1-3.

As for edibility, I have not tried them. I have had friends that did, and said they range from bitter to sweet. I did find some sources that said they are safe in moderation if no pesticides have been used on them.



I think its a great vine and I really like out, but the hordes of butterflies do a number to the leaves in the summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment